Immigrating to Saskatchewan: How to Get Your Saskatchewan Driver's Licence

Published on Jul 09, 2012

When you move to the province of Saskatchewan, you will need to obtain a drivers licence in the province within 90 days, no matter where you are from. Some drivers will be able to participate in the direct licence swap program the province offers, while others will have to take a drivers licence test in order to get a new Saskatchewan licence. Find out how to get a licence in Saskatchewan based on your driving experience and your country of origin.

Exchanging Your Licence

Saskatchewan offers a licence exchange program with drivers from a specific list of countries. If you come from one of these countries you can directly exchange your license for a Saskatchewan licence of the same level. These are the countries with which the province of Saskatchewan has an agreement:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Germany
  • Isle of Man
  • South Korea
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

You will be asked to provide proof of your licence, including a translation if required (if the licence is not in English or French, Canada's official languages), proof of legal residency and surrender your old licence in return for the Saskatchewan one. You will also be asked to pay the standard licence fee. If you come from any other country, your process will be different and may include drivers licence testing.

Obtaining a Saskatchewan Licence

If you aren't eligible for the exchange program, then you will need to go through a different application process in order to obtain your Saskatchewan drivers licence. What sort of drivers licence test you will need to take and what level of licence or drivers permit you will qualify for depends on your years of experience and ability to prove it.

If you have two or more years of experience behind you, then you must provide a driver abstract to prove your experience. This is obtained from your home country prior to landing in Canada. If you come from a country where the language on your documents is neither French nor English, then you must obtain an International Driver's Licence prior to leaving your home country. This is a translated copy of your licence and helps to prove your experience.

In addition to providing these documents, you will need to:

  • Pass a written test proving your knowledge of Saskatchewan law
  • Pass a road test proving your driving skills
  • Pass a vision screening

Like drivers in the reciprocal program, you will also be required to present proof of previous licence, proof of residency in the province and proof that you are in Canada legally. These documents include:

  • Proof of identification such as a passport
  • Proof of legal status such as a Permanent Resident Card
  • Proof of Saskatchewan residency that shows your address

There is a full list of acceptable documents you can refer to on the province's driver licensing website.

If you have less than two years, and even in some cases you do have the years but do not qualify for the full licence, you may be required to enter the graduated licence program.

Graduated Licences in Saskatchewan

In Saskatchewan all new drivers must go through a series of permits and licences in order to reach the status of a full licensed driver. This system is designed to help new drivers learn slowly and become safe and skilled drivers. If you come to Saskatchewan without two years of experience or in certain other situations, you will have to enter this system.

There are four stages:

  • Learner's permit, which requires passing a permit test and then 9 months of practice
  • Novice 1, which requires passing a road test and then 6 months under restrictions
  • Novice 2, to which you will graduate after 6 months under Novice 1 restrictions
  • Class 5 Licence, which can be obtained after 12 months of clean driving under the Novice 2 licence

Which stage you will enter the system at depends on your previous experience. Learn more about the graduated licence system and its restrictions here.

If you have questions about how to get your licence and what will be required of you, call 1-800-667-9868 for inquiries.

In Addition to Your License - Car Insurance in Saskatchewan

Your licence is not all you need to drive in Saskatchewan. You are also required to carry a car insurance policy, which is provided by a publically owned company. Car insurance rates differ based on your level of experience and past record. It's best to get a letter of experience proving a clean driving record when obtaining car insurance quotes on arrival in Canada. This will help you get lower rates.

Before taking a permit test or written test for your licence, it's best to take some time to study. You can find an online driving theory test to help you practice for free before you go.

Free Insurance Quotes

Save on car insurance. Get your free quote now!